Choosing the right grow medium for you!

Everything you need to know to start your cannabis grow project!
JimmyBlaize
Site Admin

Choosing the right grow medium for you!

Post by JimmyBlaize »

When talking about growing marijuana, what is a “grow medium”?

A growing medium or grow medium is what you’re growing your cannabis roots in, whether that substance is soil, perlite, coco coir, Rockwool, vermiculite, water, etc. Your marijuana plant will thrive as long as the roots have room to grow and have consistent access to fresh water, oxygen, and the proper nutrients in proper levels. There are a variety of ways to satisfy all these needs of a cannabis plant while growing, and each has its own pros and cons!

Best Growing Mediums for Marijuana

The three main types of grow mediums for marijuana plants are soil mixes, soilless mixes and hydroponics (water). Let’s do a quick breakdown of each one, along with the pros and cons for marijuana growers!

Soil or Compost

Soil or compost is one of the most popular growing mediums for marijuana plants because it is natural, easy to use, and available everywhere.

I highly reccommend using berger pro mix.

You can buy it here> https://www.berger.ca/en/horticultural- ... nnabis-hp/
There is other brands of pro mix out there but the important thing is you use nutrientless soil, because what your gunna learn next is gunna be key to having huge yields of stinky chronic!
Click here for more info on what fertalizer u should use> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9

No matter the soil, make sure that it has atleast 30% perlite in it (little white rocks in the soil). This will provide drainage and keep higher amounts of air/oxygen in the soil, which causes cannabis plants to grow faster.
For the best results, I highly reccomend that you also buy worm castings and mix it in your soil, atleast 20%
You can get worm castings here> https://www.amazon.ca/Earthly-Matters-W ... 393&sr=8-5
Plants that are grown in soil tend to grow slower than the hydroponic method, but soil-grown buds tend to have a stronger smell/taste and i actually preffer using soil over other methods for many reasons.

With living soil such as organic methods, a colony of microorganisms in the soil creates an ecosystem that mimics the best soil found in nature. The nutrients are slowly broken down from organic sources and delivered directly to your plant roots. For some reason, plants grown in this type of root environment tend to produce very strong-smelling buds. One thing that’s really great about living soil is you usually don’t need to use any added nutrients, however this method is better outdoors. If your growing indoor with soil, its recommended that you use hydroponic soil such as berger, this will prevent the attraction of unwanted pests, however, this will require you to feed the plant with the required nutrients regularly where as organic has its own nutrients in it. Organic soil will however create strong smelling buds and its easy simply because you only need to add water. The biggest downside to living soil is that plants tend to grow a little slower than with other grow mediums, and some people don’t like the smell of the composted soil, especially in the house.

Soilless Mediums (Coco Coir & Perlite)

Composted super soil is rich with all the stuff your cannabis plants loveSoilless potting mixtures that are composed of inert (non-soil) ingredients like coco coir, perlite, peat moss, Rockwool, and vermiculite can be a great choice for growing marijuana.

When growing in a soilless medium, you can treat your plants almost the same as if growing in soil. The main difference is you feed all their nutrients in the water. As a result of your plants getting nutrients delivered directly to their roots, you will often get quicker growth and higher yields than growing in soil (where the roots have to seek out nutrition).

Another advantage of growing in a soilless mix over soil is that you are less likely to run into problems with overwatering or bugs.

Although there are many different possible soilless ingredients, the most popular potting mixes for cannabis contain significant amounts of coco coir and perlite. This combination seems to work especially well for growing cannabis. As a result of coco’s growing popularity, other types of soilless mixes (especially the peat-based ones) have become far less common in cannabis grow rooms over the years.

Even when it comes to soil mixes, you still often see both coco and perlite in the ingredient list, because they help improve the overall properties of the soil.

When people are talking about hydroponics, they’re usually referring to growing your cannabis with the roots sitting directly in water. The most popular style of hydroponics for cannabis plants is known as Deep Water Culture (a.k.a. DWC), and it has a very popular variant known as “bubbleponics” or a top-fed Deep Water Culture (DWC) system.

DWC is one of the few types of hydroponics that can support larger plants. Other types of hydroponics (for example NFT or Aeroponics) have a difficult time growing plants as big and nutrient-hungry as cannabis.

Hydroponics can be really scary, but I’ve seen so many first-time growers get great results with hydroponics. The most important thing to remember is to follow the instructions and always get a root supplement like Hydroguard.

---------------------------------

Conclusion: What’s the Best Grow Medium for Growing Cannabis?

Soil or Compost – Grow in organic composted living soil for the most complex-smelling buds and a “just add water” growing experience. Or start with a cannabis-friendly soil mix such as the popular Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil mix (FFOF already contains enough nutrients to last the first month of your young plant’s life) and give nutrients in the water as plants get older.

Soilless Mix – Although this technically includes any grow mix that doesn’t include soil, with ingredients such as coco coir, perlite, vermiculite, etc., most cannabis growers use a mix that’s primarily made out of coco coir and perlite. All soilless mixes are technically considered hydroponic growing since there’s no soil, but most growers think of them as somewhere in between soil and hydro, and you get a lot of the best parts of both. I highly recommend a coco/perlite mix for your first cannabis grow!

Directly in Water / Hydroponics – Get some of the fastest growth possible, especially when combined with HID grow lights such as HPS or LECs. I’ve had many of successful grows using a top-fed DWC system, and I think it may be my favorite style of growing.

Bowni

Re: Choosing the right grow medium for you!

Post by Bowni »

When trouble happens, it is very difficult to control yourself. Recently, it has become even more difficult for me to do this than usual and I started to break down. I decided to try CBD oil and ordered it from the Blessed CBD site. Now I feel much better and my psychological state has become much more stable.